Five businesses, organizations or people will receive awards Friday for their contributions to downtown Tacoma.
The annual New Tacoma Awards, presented by the Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber, will be announced at a luncheon at the Pacific Grill Events Center. Reservations for the luncheon, from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m., can be made at tacomachamber.org. Admission ranges from $20 to $30.
Winners will receive glass sculptures made by Hilltop Artists, a nonprofit organization that reaches 500 students each year. The awards are sponsored by the Chamber, Cascade Regional Blood Services and Absher Construction.
The 2012 nominees are:
The Ghilarducci Award recognizing successful new development, renovation or beautification:
• 21st Street Park.
• LeMay-America’s Car Museum.
• Old Post Office.
The Popham Award recognizing the individual who has done the most to build community spirit:
• Athena Hitson, The Space.
• Melanie Rushforth, Tap into T-Town.
• Tim Waer, Tacoma Sports Commission.
The Public Places Award recognizing the best activation of a public park, open space or right of way:
• Frost Park Chalk Off.
• Polar Plaza at Tollefson Plaza.
• Temporal Terminus: Marking the Line along the Prairie Line Trail.
• Words at Tollefson Plaza.
• Wright Park Sprayground and Playground.
The Schoenfeld Award recognizing exemplary performance and pizazz as a retailer or restaurateur:
• 1022 South.
• Corina Bakery.
• The Swiss.
The Union Station Award recognizing organizations, companies or individuals that have built or sustained momentum for revitalization:
• Downtown: On the Go.
• First Night Tacoma-Pierce County.
• Stadium Thriftway.
• Tacoma Farmer’s Market (2010 Winner.
• Voices of the City Initiative.