The Tacoma Nature Center is accepting entries for its photo contest, “Discovering Nature in Washington,” through Aug. 28.
Categories for the contest are landscapes, wildlife, macro and people in nature. Each category is divided into youth, amateur adult and professional adult sub-categories.
The winning entries will be on exhibit at the center Sept. 4-Dec. 15.
Participants can enter multiple categories, with a maximum of two images per category. Entry into the contest is free.
Among the rules:
• All images must have been taken in Washington state.
• Submissions must be received by 5 p.m. Aug. 28.
• Entries must be framed with a dark metal or wood frame and have a hanging wire properly attached to the back. Matting is optional.
• Entries must be a minimum of 12-by-12 inches framed and a maximum of 36-by-36 inches framed.
• All entries will be returned to the photographers. Non-winning entries must be picked up at the Nature Center between Sept. 4-28 or they become the property of the Tacoma Nature Center. Winning entries may be picked up after the Exhibition between Dec. 17-31.
The category winners, and one overall winner, will be selected through a blind jury process made up of Nature Center staff, community members and local artists and photographers.
Entries will be judged on subject matter, composition and originality. Preference points will be given for photos recognizable as taken in Tacoma or Pierce County.
A reception for the winners will be from 5-7 p.m. Sept. 7.
You can get more details online at tacomanaturecenter.org. Or contact Michele Cardinaux at 253-591-6439 or firstname.lastname@example.org.