The authors of a new photo history of Tacoma’s Point Defiance Park will sign copies during today’s 19th Century Christmas event at the park’s Fort Nisqually Living History Museum.
For their third history of Tacoma parks, Melissa McGinnis and Doreen Beard-Simpkins selected photos from throughout the park’s century of existence. The book has sections on early development; construction of still-loved buildings including the Lodge and the Pagoda; and creation of the gardens and beaches, the zoo and Fort Nisqually.
Several of the attractions depicted – such as Funland and the Nereides Baths – exist only in memory and photos. The baths, actually a massive indoor pool filled with water from the Sound, was built in 1906 and demolished by 1932.
McGinnis is the longtime site manager at Fort Nisqually; Beard-Simpkins was a curator there. They worked together on previous Images of America books on Tacoma Parks and Wright Park.
They will sign copies from 11 a.m.-4 p.m.peter.callaghan@ thenewstribune.com