Memories of New Years past from local residents:
• Judy Bradshaw, Gig Harbor: “We had a (three-generation family) sock hop at our beach house. We took out the furniture and rug, served burgers and fries in red baskets and milkshakes, did the twist, mashed potato and swing. We held contests: limbo, hula hoop and bubble gum blowing, played fast and loud ’50s music. Fun for everyone.”
• Lori Deacon, Home: “I spent many New Years by myself. I’d make of list of everything interesting that happened that year. Then make a list of goals for the new year. It’s a great time to reflect. Now, I just party with all my crazy friends — champagne and jigsaw puzzles.”
• Bev McPherson, Gig Harbor: “When we turned to 2000, from my window I could see fireworks in Tacoma, West Seattle, Vashon Island, Gig Harbor bay and all along the waterfront on both sides to the Narrows Bridge.”
• Chad Beaver, Minterwood: “On Lake Pleasant, Mass., where Yankee Candle is located, friends joined us for a fire and drinks. We got 4 inches of snow. The moon was full as we drank well into the New Year. The train came by in the moonlight across the lake.”
• Lynn Lester, Wauna: “My sister and brother-in-law celebrated at our house. While our five boys played hard and wore themselves out, we adults played poker and gave the chips huge value. It was so fun, betting thousands of dollars in our New Year’s Eve fantasy.”
The Year in Rhyme: Placed an embargo on Iran, How can we get them to understand?
Luxury Cruise ship runs aground, Deaths and lawsuits, they abound.
Yahoo! founder resigns his post, Before the website turns to toast.
Tax the rich, tax and spend, Will the campaigning ever end?
You don’t have to be a millionaire, To maintain your health with Obamacare.
Romney, Ryan formed a team, But the train ran out of steam.
Facebook says, “Here’s our stock,” Will investors get over shock?
Syria is deep in a civil war, Is anyone over there keeping score?
Putin wins in Russia again, The people take it on the chin.
Afghan soldiers kill our guys, Every week another dies.
Afghan leader an honest man? U.S. needs another plan.
North Korea launches missile, The world sat back and watched it fizzle.
Greece and Spain need to borrow, How many dollars, how many euros?
London hosts the Summer Games, Queen and spy jump out of planes.
Ambassador killed by terrorist mob, In the line of duty, doing his job.
Teenage girl takes a stand, Then gets shot by Taliban.
Of all the places we need the least, The major one is the Middle East.
Could the money funding an unpopular war, Be better spent on our Eastern Shore?
It’d be nice to have a surplus handy, To take care of disasters like Sandy.
Lance Armstrong and General Petraeus, When will our heroes stop betraying us?
Back to the election, it’s not lose or win, But can we un-mute our TV’s again?
They represent us with our vote, Can we un-elect them if they don’t?
Fiscal Cliff: make a decision please, Or we’ll end up like “Thelma & Louise.”
Black Friday has gone away, Now it starts Thanksgiving Day.
Gabby’s shooter, a lifetime served, Did he get what he deserved?
Israel, Palestine, here we go again, Is there no way to make this a win?
Some companies are huge, some are dinky, Which one will produce the Hostess Twinkie?
Both sides tried to make their point, The people spoke, now pass that joint.
Straight or gay, short or tall, It’s equal opportunity divorce for all.