Gig Harbor firefighters contained a kitchen fire on Christmas Day in the 7400 block of Pioneer Way.
The homeowner told crews she was preparing Christmas dinner when the fire started. It was kept to the kitchen area and the attic nearby.
The woman attempted to extinguish the fire with a portable extinguisher without success. After she called 9-1-1, the woman and her husband, who is in a wheelchair, escaped uninjured. Firefighters rescued the couple’s dog and retrieved Christmas presents from the home.
Damage was estimated to be $75,000.