Whitman Elementary School recently has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. Last year the school was named to the state Heritage Register.
The school at 1120 S. 39th St. in Tacoma is considered historic for its architecture — with sleek lines, symmetry and lack of ornamentation. Completed in 1952, the building was designed by a regionally prominent Tacoma firm, Lea, Pearson and Richards. It is the first Washington post-World War II school added to the National Register.