MLK Jr. Day events in the South Sound
Martin Luther King Jr. Day events in the South Sound
- Bates Technical College students and staff and community members will begin their traditional march to the city celebration at 10 a.m. The marchers will gather at 9 a.m. for refreshments at Bates’ downtown campus at 11th Street and Yakima Avenue. A shuttle will return the marchers to the campus following the event.
- Tacoma’s big event runs from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Greater Tacoma Convention & Trade Center, 1550 Broadway. The event is free, but visitors are encouraged to bring donations of nonperishable food for a food drive.
- Clayborne Carson, executive director of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Research and Education Institute at Stanford University, will be the keynote speaker.
- Carson, who participated in the March on Washington, contributed to the initial design of the King memorial in the nation’s Capitol. King’s widow, Coretta Scott King, selected Carson to edit and publish her husband’s papers.
- The University of Puget Sound’s celebration will occur from 7-8:30 p.m. at the Schneebeck Concert Hall on campus.
- A free talk will be given by John Carlos, a U.S. Olympian whose Black Power salute with another athlete on the podium of the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City garnered international attention. Carlos is a founding member of the Olympic Project for Human Rights.