An early estimate for damages to a Tacoma retirement community that caught fire and forced the evacuation of 144 seniors this week is $141,000, the Tacoma Fire Department said Thursday.
An electrical problem sparked the blaze Tuesday morning in a common area of Life Manor Retirement Community, 1609 S. Union Ave. It totaled the building that housed the kitchen, dining room and activity room and caused some smoke damage to the independent living hall.
Twelve people who live in the independent living hall were taken to area hospitals after the fire.
The cleaning was finished Thursday night and all but 27 residents will return home this afternoon, the Rev. Dean Curry of Life Center Church said. The remaining 27 residents are expected to return late next email@example.com