An apartment fire that displaced five people Wednesday in Fircrest was started by a cardboard box left on the stove by tenants moving in, Tacoma Fire Department officials said Friday.
The blaze, which damaged four units in Fircrest Gardens, 1425 Rainier Drive, caused an estimated $99,000 in damage.
Firefighters were called to the complex just before 10 a.m. and found heavy flames and smoke showing from the second floor. They contained the fire to a single apartment, but three other units also were affected.
Investigators said the power was activated for the new tenants Wednesday morning and that the stove ignited a box set on top of it.stacia.glenn@ thenewstribune.com