Several units temporarily were evacuated at a Richland apartment complex Tuesday night after the roof caught fire, authorities said.
The blaze at the Timbers Apartments at 1900 Stevens Drive broke out about 7 p.m.
Richland firefighters responded, along with crews from the Kennewick and Hanford fire departments, and Benton fire districts 1 and 4.
The fire was under control is less than 30 minutes, said Richland Battalion Chief Curtis Walsh. No one was hurt and most residents were able to return to their apartments, he said.
The resident living directly under where the fire broke out opted to stay with friends for the night, he said.
Walsh said a preliminary investigation showed the blaze might have been tied to some roofing work being done at the apartments.
"Considering the size of the complex, the damage was relative moderate," he said, praising fire crews for their work to control the blaze and ensure the safety of residents.