A wall fire caused an estimated $15,000 in damage Thursday to a historic home in Tacoma’s Stadium district.
Firefighters responded to the house at 521 N. Yakima Ave. about 2 a.m. Crews using thermal imaging cameras found hot spots in the wall, which is where the fire originated from failed electrical wiring, officials said. Firefighters kept flames from spreading to the attic and roof.
The 6,000-square-foot house, built in 1913 by the Rust family, is one of about 75 homes that make up the Stadium-Seminary Historic District.
According to the National Historic Register, the family built the house after the death of Howard Rust, son of Helen and William Rust, who was president of Tacoma Smelter and Refining Co.
Helen Rust could no longer bear to live at the Rust Mansion, 1001 N. I St., so the family built another home that wouldn’t remind her of her son.stacia.glenn@ thenewstribune.com