Investigators have determined that a fire started inside the Tacoma Central PetSmart Thursday night was arson.
The store at 2236 South 23rd Street remains closed this morning. No animals died in the blaze but its unknown if any were injured.
Flames originated in a pet supply area in the retail section, Tacoma Fire spokesman Joe Meineke said. Damages are estimated at $35,000.
The blaze was reported about 6:20 p.m. As the stores sprinkler system kicked in and doused the flames, employees grabbed dogs from the grooming area and kept them in their personal cars to calm them down.
Tacoma police will investigate the case.