Victims of Alaska double homicide have Tacoma connection

May 27, 2013 

Double Homicide

An officer in the Anchorage jail court removes the paperwork that Jerry Andrew Active was using to shield his face during his arraigned on charges of murder and sexual assault of a minor on Sunday, May 26, 2013, in Anchorage, Alaska. Active was arrested about a block from an apartment where the bodies of 71-year-old Sorn Sreap and 73-year-old Touch Chea were found Saturday night by their granddaughter, who had returned from a trip to a movie with her husband and 4-year-old son.

BILL ROTH — Anchorage Daily News

A man who has been charged with killing an elderly Alaska couple and raping their 2-year-old great-granddaughter is a registered sex offender convicted of breaking into a home and assaulting an 11-year-old girl four years ago.

Jerry Andrew Active, 24, was convicted in 2010 of assaulting the girl near Dillingham, Alaska, while her family slept.

Authorities say that on Saturday, Active broke into the Anchorage apartment home of Touch Chea, 71, and his wife Sorn Sreap, 73, and beat the couple to death. He also raped Sreap, police said.

The victims’ family at one point lived in Tacoma and continues to have relatives in the South Sound, according to a family member interviewed by the Anchorage Daily News.

After Saturday’s attack, Active was still inside the residence when the victims’ adult grandson, his pregnant wife and son arrived. The grandson, Von Seng, fought Active, who then managed to flee. He was arrested nearby only wearing boxer shorts, authorities said.

“He took the old, the innocent,” Seng told the Daily News. “Come face me.”

Seng had taken his wife and son to the movies that evening.

The victims were part of an extended family that lived in a ground-floor, east Anchorage apartment. The younger couple’s 90-year-old great-grandmother also lives in the apartment and was at home during the incident.

Sreap and Chea are Cambodian immigrants. They raised Seng living between Tacoma and Anchorage, he said.

There’s no known connection between Active and Seng’s family.

Active attempted to cover his face when he appeared in court Sunday. Bail was set at $1.5 million.

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service