Smoke temporarily closes Safeway in Orting

Staff writerJuly 23, 2013 

An overheated refrigerator produced enough smoke to temporarily shut down a Safeway store in Orting this morning, according to Orting Valley Fire & Rescue.

Firefighters responded to the store at 215 Whitesell Street Northwest about 9:44 a.m. and evacuated everybody inside.

The smoke was caused by an overheated refrigerator unit on aisle four, investigators said. An estimate of damages was not immediately available.

Safeway reopened around 10:30 a.m.

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service