Seahawks' Turbin finally gets back into game action

Staff writersAugust 17, 2013 


Seattle's Robert Turbin carries the ball in a preseason football game at Century Link Field in Seattle, August 17, 2013. The Seahawks won, 40-10.

PETER HALEY — Staff photographer Buy Photo

Finally, it was Robert Turbin’s time to shine in the backfield.

The Seahawks’ second-year running back’s frustration and eagerness to get back on the field and to build off his strong rookie campaign ended during Saturday’s 40-10 preseason win over the Denver Broncos.

The former Utah State standout and 2012 fourth-round pick rushed for 35 yards on nine carries – all in the first half – in his exhibition debut.

Fullback Spencer Ware had most of his 54 yards in the second half after Seattle built a 33-7 halftime lead.

“It felt good to go out there and see what I can do,” said Turbin, who also lined up at wideout. “There’s a lot of things I can improve on. I can’t wait to get after that.”

The timing for Turbin’s return couldn’t have been better. He practiced for the first time last Sunday.

A foot injury, which he said is now 100 percent healthy, had kept him on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list since the start of training camp.

Rookie Christine Michael (back spasms) missed practice last week and didn’t play against the Broncos after rushing for 89 yards on 16 carries in the exhibition opener Aug. 8 at San Diego, leaving the door open for Turbin to show why he should remain the Seahawks’ No. 2 option at running back behind Marshawn Lynch.

Seattle coach Pete Carroll made the decision to hold Turbin out in the second half, even though he was itching to get more carries.

“I wanted to play at least through the third quarter,” he said.

As Lynch’s backup last season, Turbin rushed for 354 yards on 80 carries and also caught 19 passes for 181 yards over 16 games.


With 9:13 remaining in the opening quarter, Denver defensive end Derek Wolfe went down hard on the turf after a legal cut block by tight end Luke Willson, followed by a drive block by fullback Michael Robinson.

Wolfe was taken off the field on a stretcher and loaded into the back of an ambulance.

According to the team, Wolfe suffered a cervical spine injury and had movement in all his extremities.

In an update, the Broncos said all tests on Wolfe were negative for fractures and he was going to travel back to Denver with the team.


The Seahawks had 15 players ruled out for Saturday’s game: WR Sidney Rice, WR Percy Harvin, WR Bryan Walters, Michael, CB Tharold Simon, CB Ron Parker, DE Bruce Irvin, DE Cliff Avril, LB Korey Toomer, OL James Carpenter, TE Zach Miller, DE Chris Clemons, DT Jaye Howard, DE Greg Scruggs and DT Tony McDaniel. Doug Baldwin started for Rice at flanker. O’Brien Schofield started for Avril at “Leo” defensive end. Rookie Willson started for Miller at tight end. … Receiver Phil Bates suffered a left leg injury in the second half and was taken to the locker room for further evaluation. He did not return.

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service