Once known as having “the coldest beer in town,” a South Tacoma tavern was destroyed by fire Tuesday afternoon.
A full complement of Tacoma Fire units — five engines, two ladders, medic units and support staff — responded to the call, which dispatchers took at 3:57 p.m.
A passerby saw flames coming from the roof of Sir-C’s Tavern at 6234 South Tacoma Way, then entered the building and alerted the bartender. No patrons were inside, said Joe Meinecke, Tacoma fire public information officer. There were no injuries.
Embers from a weed-burning propane torch caused the fire, which resulted in an estimated $130,000 in damage, the department said.
The building was 25 percent involved when firefighters arrived. Because of the intensity of the blaze, firefighters took a defensive strategy in battling it.
“It’s heavily damaged, likely a total loss,” Meinecke said.
Traffic along South Tacoma Way was diverted for hours as firefighters continued to clear the scene.
Former tavern owner Carol Scearcy stood across the street from the fire as firefighters doused the last of the flames.
“It’s a cute little bar,” she said. “My husband put this together.”
Scearcy sold the tavern in June, she said. Her husband passed away in 2008.
“It’s just like he died again,” she said, as the last of the smoke rose.
C.R. Roberts: 253-597-8535