Police Beat: Man needs medical attention after neighbor's meds quit working

sean.robinson@thenewstribune.comSeptember 7, 2013 

Editor’s note: Compiled from reports to Tacoma police.

Sept. 4: First came the knock at the door, then the punch in the face.

It was a short story. The 61-year-old man wasn’t sure why his neighbor hit him. He didn’t even know the guy’s name.

An officer wrote the story down and looked at the cut on the man’s nose — treated by emergency medical technicians from the Tacoma Fire Department, but still bleeding.

The man was small and slight.

EMTs said the attacker was sitting at a bus stop outside the apartment complex in the 600 block of South Wright Avenue. The officer took a look out the window. So did the man with the cut on his nose. That was the guy, he said.

The officer motioned to the man at the bus stop, telling him to come inside. The man stood. He was 31, four inches taller and 100 pounds heavier than the victim. He walked to the door of the complex, fingering something.

“Knife,” one of the EMTs warned. The officer pushed the victim behind him and stepped back, creating some distance. Drop the knife, the officer ordered.

The man yelled at first, but dropped the knife. The officer cuffed him.

Knife told a story. For the past several nights, the older neighbor had entered his body, taken control of it and raped his daughter — that was why Knife knocked and punched.

Did Knife’s daughter live with him? No, Knife said.

Could Knife explain how the neighbor entered his body? No.

Knife said he took medication for mental health problems. Lately, the meds weren’t working.

The officer booked him into the Fife City Jail on suspicion of misdemeanor assault.

Sept. 3: Grandma and Mom went school shopping with the kids. Grandma paid. Mom didn’t.

Officers found Mom in the loss prevention office at the Target store in the 3300 block of South 23rd Street. Mom was 25. Two security officers gave a rundown: Mom and Grandma came in earlier. While Grandma shopped in one area, Mom picked up some store shopping bags, filled them with clothes and shoes, and stashed them underneath Grandma’s merchandise.

Grandma paid for her stuff at the check stand. Mom didn’t pay for the stuff in the shopping bags. As the pair rolled the cart out the door, security officers stopped Mom and let Grandma go.

Mom told police officers her kids needed clothes for school and she had no money. Her cousin tipped her to the shopping-bag trick and said it would work.

The security team knew Mom from a prior incident at the store, and her history included other arrests. Officers booked her into the Fife City Jail on suspicion of misdemeanor theft.

Sept. 1: The young car prowlers worked for a man named Spook, who ordered them to steal cars or he’d kill their families.

The call started with a report of three juveniles trying door handles at a car lot in the 4100 block of South Tacoma Way. It was 9:27 p.m.

Four officers responded. The boys, three of them, all age 14, ran through the lot, aiming for a fence and a wooded area. Officers snared two of them without trouble and found the third crouching in the bushes.

One boy said he knew his two friends had stolen a car from the lot the night before. He came along this time to watch.

Had he opened car doors on the lot? Yes, the kid said — but only to look for keys. If he found any, he’d give them to his friends.

The second boy said he came along because his friends made him. His story changed slightly the more he talked. He said the third boy was the leader and that the third boy was working for Spook.

The second boy said he and the third boy took a Jeep from the lot the previous night and parked it nearby for Spook to pick it up.

The third boy said, “I’m going to tell you everything — I just want you to protect my family.”

The boy said Spook ordered the thefts, including the Jeep from the previous night. Spook threatened to kill his family. Spook was a gangster, the boy said, giving a full description.

He didn’t know Spook’s real name.

The boy gave more details: A week earlier, he and some friends went to another lot on South Tacoma Way, opened an unlocked Kia, popped the trunk and found a pile of key fobs. The boy took the keys and hid them in bushes by the lot to pick up later.

The boy led officers to the bushes and a pile of plastic bags. Three bags had Kia keys and owner’s manuals inside. Three more had manuals but no keys.

Officers booked the boys into Remann Hall on suspicion of car theft. They notified the parents of the first two boys; the third boy said he didn’t know his home phone number.

Sean Robinson: 253-597-8486

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service