Pierce County's unemployment rate fell to 7.7 percent in August, down from 8.2 percent in July and down from 9.1 percent in August 2012, according to state Employment Security Department data released Tuesday.
Seasonally adjusted statewide unemployment for August rose to 7 percent from 6.9 percent in July, while the national jobless rate was 7.3 percent in August.
Regional jobless rates for August, not seasonally adjusted:
* King County (Seattle, Bellevue): 5.7 percent
* Kitsap County: 6.4 percent
* Thurston County: 6.7 percent
* Pierce County: 7.7 percent
* Mason County: 9.2 percent
* Lewis County: 10.5 percent
* Grays Harbor County: 11 percent
Source: Employment Security Department