Civilian employees to return to Joint Base Lewis-McChord Monday

Staff writerOctober 6, 2013 

The Joint Base Lewis-McChord Commissary reopens Monday.

COURTESY PHOTO — I Corps

Joint Base Lewis-McChord said Sunday that all furloughed Department of Defense civilian employees who work at the base will be back on the job Monday.

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said Saturday he was able to bring most of the department's civilians back to work, as long as they "contribute to the morale, well-being, capabilities and readiness of service members."

He was able to do so through an interpretation of a bill Congress passed last week to ensure service members are paid on time through the shutdown.

I Corps said via twitter that the Lewis-McChord Commissary will open Monday.

Lewis-McChord has about 16,000 civilian employees and contractors. About 8,000 of them were affected by furloughs with half going to work last week and half staying home. 

alexis.krell@thenewstribune.com

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service