Kent Fred Meyer evacuated after natural gas leak

Staff writerNovember 11, 2013 

A Kent Fred Meyer store was evacuated Monday when a forklift hit a natural gas line connected to a room heater, Kent Fire said.

Firefighters were dispatched shortly before 2 p.m. to the 10200 block of Southeast 240th Street.

The leak happened in a storage area of the store. One employee was treated for natural gas exposure at the scene and released. No one else was affected.

The gas was shut off, and when the store was cleared of all natural gas, employees could reenter. It wasn't clear when customers would be allowed inside, Kent Fire said.

alexis.krell@thenewstribune.com

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service