Overheated furnace prompts evacuation at Gig Harbor church

Staff writerNovember 14, 2013 

An overheated furnace prompted the evacuation of a Gig Harbor church this morning, according to Gig Harbor Fire & Medic One.

The incident started about 9:30 a.m. when firefighters were called to Chapel Hill Presbyterian Church after people spotted smoke in the building.

Crews could not find flames so they removed an area of sheet rock from a wall and part of the ceiling to check whether there was a fire in the attic, spokeswoman Nanette Tatom said.

The cause was later determined to be a malfunctioning temperature switch that prevented the furnace from shutting off and caused it to overheat.

No one was injured. The church campus remains closed.

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service