An improperly disposed of cigarette caused a fire at a retirement community Wednesday, according to Tacoma Fire.
The blaze at Point Defiance Village, 6414 N. Park Way, was reported about 10:30 a.m.
Firefighters found fire and smoke coming from the balcony of a second-floor apartment, which is part of a independent living complex for seniors. Crews put out the fire and searched the building to make sure no one was trapped.
Fire alarms alerted residents and a sprinkler system helped extinguish the fire.
Three people were evaluated by paramedics and released at the scene.
Estimated damage to the building and its contents was $30,000.
- - -