Northeast Tacoma house fire caused by discarded ashes

Staff writerNovember 22, 2013 

A fire that caused severe damage to a Northeast Tacoma house late Thursday was caused by discarded fireplace ashes, according to the Fire Department.

Firefighters were called to the 3100 block of 59th Avenue Northeast about 10:25 p.m. and found the entire house on fire.

“Crews took a defensive strategy against the well-entrenched blaze and protected two homes nearby exposed to the intense heat and flames,” according to the department’s blog.

Two people who lived in the house escaped without injury. The house is a total loss, investigators said.

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service