Several house fires swept through the South Sound on Christmas Day, but there were no initial reports of injuries.
At 10:29 a.m., the Valley Regional Fire Authority responded to the 100 block of Third Avenue S.W. in Pacific for a reported exterior wall fire that had spread to the structure’s interior.
In the afternoon, a fire broke out in a reportedly empty Tacoma home in the vicinity of 51st and Thompson streets. Elsewhere in Pierce County, there was a report of a chimney fire.
In Pacific, Valley Regional fire fighters found smoke visible from the rear of the structure and and an exterior wall fire spreading upward into the attic area.
They confirmed the home was evacuated, and used a chainsaw to open up the siding and stop the spread of fire. The blaze was quickly extinguished, and there were no injuries, officials reported.