Gig Harbor Fire and Pierce County Sheriff personnel work the fire scene where two people are believe to have perished at the Fox Island fire on Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013.
LUI KIT WONG — Staff photographer |Buy Photo
Readers voted on their top stories of 2013 -- Boeing Machinists reject deal, State Farm adding jobs to downtown Tacoma, the Sonics not coming back to Seattle (yet).
But those stories, while often the talk of the community or having an impact on life in the South Sound, are not necessarily what struck a chord online in 2013.
A job lottery, a fatal fire, a beloved pianist, local restaurants on national TV, crime stories -- those are what caught the attention of thenewstribune.com readers in 2013. Heres our most popular online stories for 2013, with rankings based on clicks from readers within Western Washington.*
• 200-plus longshore jobs up for grabs in Tacoma
• Father, daughter killed in 'intense' Fox Island fire
• TNT Diner: Food tourist alert - Tacoma-area restaurants will appear on 'Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives' beginning tonight
• Nordstrom pianist ends 27-year run; Tacoma Mall store decides to do away with live music
• Teenager charged in deadly Point Defiance crash
• Deputies: Man, 25, arrested when girlfriend finds him taking baby girl out of freezer
• Defensive lineman "Tha Monstar" intrigues Seahawks
• 2-year-old victim in murder, rape case had injuries 'too numerous to count'
• Spanaway boy, 10, hit and killed by pickup truck while leaving friend's house on his bicycle
• Tacoma civic and business leader George Weyerhaeuser Jr. dies
* We used the page views from within Western Washington to reflect what regional readers were clicking on. Occasionally national websites and blogs discover a News Tribune story and skew our online traffic results. What's popular in Pittsburgh might not be such a hit in, say, Puyallup.