Paint thinner-soaked rags thought to be cause of Tacoma house fire

Staff writerJanuary 9, 2014 

COURTESY PHOTO — Tacoma Fire Department

Firefighters arrived shortly after 11:15 p.m. Wednesday to a house fire in the 4500 block of 43rd Street Northeast.

They found smoke coming from the upper level of a two-story home there, and crews put out the blaze and searched the 1,700-square-foot house.

No one was home at the time of the fire, and no one was injured, according to Tacoma Fire.

The likely cause of the fire was the spontaneous combustion of rags, damp with paint thinner, that had been discarded, the agency said.

The estimated damage is $28,000.

alexis.krell@thenewstribune.com

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service