Construction workers ruptured a 4-inch gas pipe in Sumner this morning, forcing the evacuation of several nearby businesses.
The incident happened just after 8 a.m. at 1515 Puyallup St.
“Fire crews report a large column of natural gas visible,” East Pierce Fire Assistant Fire Chief Jim Jaques said.
Puyallup Street was shut down and about 100 employees from neighboring companies were evacuated as a precaution, Battalion Chief Mike Shiner said.
No injuries were reported.
Puget Sound Energy workers were called to the scene and the gas main break was contained by 9:15 a.m.