Man dies, woman injured in South Hill stabbing

Staff writerJanuary 19, 2014 

A man fatally stabbed a Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier and injured a woman in South Hill on Sunday before leading law enforcement on a high-speed chase on Canyon Road East, the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department said.

Deputies arrived after a 4 a.m. 911 call in the 9800 block of 185th Street East, where the owner of the home at which the stabbing happened called for help, Pierce County sheriff’s spokesman Ed Troyer said.

A group of people went to the house after drinking, Troyer said, and the 29-year-old suspect allegedly stabbed a 36-year-old woman multiple times in the back, then stabbed a 34-year-old man in the chest who tried to intervene.

The man with the chest wound died at the scene. The woman was taken to a hospital and was expected to survive, Troyer said.

After the stabbing, Troyer said, the suspect got a gun from the residence and robbed the woman he had stabbed of her bank cards, then fled.

A deputy saw the vehicle about 10 minutes after the 911 call, heading west on 176th Street East at Canyon Road East.

A high-speed pursuit ensued, Troyer said, which the deputy ended by using a special maneuver to stop the vehicle in the 9800 block of Canyon Road East.

The car rolled into a power pole, and when the suspect came out and was not cooperative, deputies used a Taser to take him into custody, Troyer said.

Injuries the suspect suffered in the rollover were minor, Troyer said. The News Tribune does not generally name suspects of crimes until they have been formally charged.

Witnesses said the suspect and the two stabbing victims are members of the military, Troyer said, adding that investigators still needed to confirm that.

Brigade public affairs officer Capt. Lonnie Collier said the base believed the only JBLM soldier was the man fatally stabbed.

“As far as we know, no other JBLM soldiers were involved,” Collier said. “Unfortunately, we did lose a soldier today.”

He said he could not provide further details about the soldier or the circumstances of the death.

He expected more details, including the soldier’s identity, to be released 24 hours after the soldier’s family had been notified, possibly Tuesday.

Alexis Krell: 253-597-8268

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service