Man charged with murder in stabbing death of JBLM soldier

Staff writerJanuary 21, 2014 

Chase Devyver appears in Pierce County Superior Court on Tuesday for his arraignment on a second-degree murder charge. He pleaded not guilty to stabbing Sgt. 1st Class Shawn Woods, who died Sunday at a South Hill home.

ADAM LYNN — Staff writer

Pierce County prosecutors on Tuesday charged a 29-year-old man with second-degree murder in the death of a decorated Joint Base Lewis-McChord soldier who was stabbed over the weekend after coming to aid of a woman being attacked.

Chase Harrison Devyver pleaded not guilty in Superior Court to that charge and single counts of attempted murder, robbery and attempting to elude police. Court Commissioner Meagan Foley ordered Devyver jailed in lieu of $2 million bail.

Court documents filed Tuesday give the following account of the killing:

Devyver, his girlfriend, Sgt. 1st Class Shawn Woods and another woman went out drinking before returning to a South Hill home about 4 a.m. Sunday.

Devyver and his girlfriend allegedly sat in the car outside the house for some time arguing about their relationship while Woods and the other woman went inside.

At some point, the girlfriend ended the argument and walked to the house, where Devyver allegedly stabbed her.

Woods, awakened by the sound of her screams, went to help her and was stabbed, too. He died at the scene.

The 38-year-old soldier was a member of Troop A, 8th Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division. He had served a tour each in Iraq and Afghanistan and was slated to retire later this year, the Army said in a news release.

"Shawn Woods was a model non-commissioned officer, leader, husband, father and friend to all of the Troop A family. Woods left a lasting impression on anyone he met, and he was a caring NCO whose soldiers always looked up to him for advice and leadership,” said 1st Lt. Charles Rugg, the executive officer of Troop A, 8-1 Cavalry. “Woods always lived the Army values and placed the needs of others above his own; he will be truly missed.”

Devyver's girlfriend suffered a serious laceration to her upper back. She lived but was hospitalized.

Devyver then allegedly armed himself with a handgun, robbed his girlfriend of her debit card and led authorities on a high-speed chase before losing control of his car and wrecking.

He allegedly told deputies to "shoot me" before they shot him with stun gun and arrested him, court records show.

Devyver declined to speak to detectives.

Deputies said they found several knives inside the car and a bloody handgun nearby.



The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service