Immigrant hunger strikers released from solitary

ASSOCIATED PRESSApril 5, 2014 

Lawyers who sued the federal government on behalf of about 20 immigrant hunger strikers at a Washington state detention facility say their clients have been released from solitary confinement.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Washington and Columbia Legal Services sued on behalf of the men, and say they were returned to the general population by Friday morning after six days in solitary confinement.

In the lawsuit filed this week, the lawyers said U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement were unlawfully retaliating against the men for exercising their right to free speech.

The agency denied that and said the men had been intimidating others to join their hunger strike.

The hunger strikers were protesting U.S. immigration law as well as the conditions at the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma.

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service