Person injured in fire at monks' residence by Tacoma Buddhist temple

Staff writerApril 7, 2014 

A fire at the residence of several monks adjacent to a Tacoma Buddhist temple injured one person Saturday night.

Investigators said Monday they believed the fire at 8208 McKinley Ave. E. was accidental, possibly related to an electric blanket at the residence.

Tacoma Fire Battalion Chief Jolene Davis said crews were sent to the fire about 8:20 p.m.

The building next to Wat Samakiratanaram (a Cambodian Buddhist temple) is where several monks live, Davis said.

When crews searched the building, she said they found one man inside and took him to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

Further information about his condition was not immediately available Monday.

Of the six or eight rooms in the building, the fire was contained to one or two, Davis said.

alexis.krell@thenewstribune.com

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service