Propane tank caused Tacoma trailer fire

Staff writerApril 15, 2014 

Although an explosion that destroyed a Tacoma trailer was initially believed to be related to a methamphetamine lab, the Fire Department said Tuesday the fire was started by a leaking propane tank.

The 30-foot metal trailer was kept in the backyard of a house in the 1000 block of S. 88th Street. It exploded about 1:45 a.m. Monday after a man turned on a heater, igniting propane gas from a portable tank that had been leaking gas into the trailer, according to the Fire Department.

One man was found outside the trailer after it caught fire. A second man was located several blocks away after he fled the scene. Both suffered minor injuries.

The blaze caused about $7,000 in damages.

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service