Police Beat: Title of this drunken man’s tome starts with P

Staff writerApril 26, 2014 

Editor’s note: Compiled from reports to Tacoma police.

April 24: Tacoma’s Wheelock Library has bathrooms. The patron chose not to use them.

He was 37, from Tacoma. He walked into the library around noon and started noodling on one of the computers. Finished, he ambled toward the library manager. She was 57. He told her to call police. He said he needed “to turn himself in.”

He sank into a chair by the manager’s desk and dozed off. The manager caught the stink of drink. She called police and waited.

An officer arrived and talked to the manager. As they chatted, the man woke, rose, drifted toward one of the bookshelves and answered the call of nature.

The officer put the man in a patrol car. The manager handed over the man’s wallet and phone, left behind at her desk.

Records showed the man had a standing commitment order to report to the Pierce County Jail. He took a breath alcohol test. The reading came back at 0.287, more than triple the legal limit to be considered a drunken driver.

The man asked to go to the hospital to detox and dry out. The officers agreed; he was too drunk to go to jail. They ferried him to St. Joseph Medical Center and cited him for urinating in public.

April 22: She beat the warrants and juked the cop with a false name she’d used before.

She was 24 — 5-4, 140, a strawberry blonde pushing a 2-year-old boy through Home Depot in a shopping cart.

She rolled to the plumbing aisle, picked out three water filters and stowed two of them in a diaper bag. She paid for one and headed for the exit.

A loss prevention officer stopped her, walked her to the security office and called police. The woman sat in a chair with the baby and waited.

A police officer drove over — 7000 block, Tacoma Mall Boulevard. He talked to the woman. She gave a name. She said she had no ID. She said she took the extra water filters for the little boy; he couldn’t drink tap water.

The officer cited her for shoplifting and let her go. He watched her step into a car — a red 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser. He ran the license plate as she drove away.

Hits bounced back: The name of the car’s registered owner didn’t match the name the woman gave. The car owner’s name linked to two misdemeanor arrest warrants, a suspended driver’s license, and a police report that listed an alias — the same name the woman had just given the officer.

The officer looked for phone numbers and found one for the little boy’s grandmother. She said the woman might be staying at a nearby motel. Staffers at the motel said the woman had stayed there and left two days earlier.

Dead end — the woman’s whereabouts were unknown. The grandmother called the officer back and said she spoke to the woman, who was now in Seattle and had no intention of coming back to Tacoma. The officer filed a report with the background information attached.

April 21: The dispatch call came in as a fight between two students at Mount Tahoma High School. An officer drove to the school and walked into the gym.

Staffers were standing between a girl, 15, and a boy, 16. They circled each other.

The officer took charge of the boy. A school security officer took the girl to another room.

The boy said the girl called him a name, so he called her a name. The girl lashed out with a knee. The boy held her down, then let her up. She kept talking. He’d slapped her in the face, he said.

As the boy talked to the officer, the girl walked down a hall toward the two of them. A school nurse tried to stop her. The girl walked around her and kept coming.

The officer told her to stop. She tried to push past him. The officer grabbed her left arm and edged her toward a wall. The girl spun away. The officer took her to the ground. He told her to put her hands behind her back. She put her hands under her body.

The girl tried to roll away. The officer held her down with a knee, cuffed her and took her into a neighboring office.

She had a bloody lip. She said she didn’t need medical aid. The boy said his leg hurt. Both teens were taken to Remann Hall and booked on suspicion of fourth-degree assault.

Sean Robinson: 253-597-8486

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service