Seahawks beat reporter Todd Dybas predicts what players will be drafted in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft:
Projections updated Wed., May 7, 2014.
1. Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
- Height: 6-6 Weight: 266
- Comment: Too much potential to overlook.
2. St. Louis Rams: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
- Height: 6-1 Weight: 211
- Comment: The Rams were 25th in the league with 36 sacks allowed, so they skip a lineman and go to the best receiver.
3. Jacksonville Jaguars: Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
- Height: 6-3 Weight: 251
- Comment: Gus Bradley knows it starts with defense and none of the QBs compel the Jags enough in this spot.
4. Cleveland Browns: Jake Matthews, OG, Texas A&M
- Height: 6-5 Weight: 308
- Comment: Browns play it safe with Matthews, a sturdy if not splashy selection.
5. Oakland Raiders: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
- Height: 6-0 Weight: 207
- Comment: The outlaw joins the formerly outlaw franchise and brings some life to the moribund Raiders.
6. Atlanta Falcons: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
- Height: 6-5 Weight: 332
- Comment: The Falcons are a mess, as they showed against the Seahawks last season. Offensive line always a good place to start.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
- Height: 6-5 Weight: 231
- Comment: Bucs can be effective when they spread it out and throw it around. Evans helps that.
8. Minnesota Vikings: Anthony Barr, LB, UCLA
- Height: 6-5 Weight: 255
- Comment: Oddly, Barr seems under the radar in this draft. He claims he should be in consideration for the top pick.
9. Buffalo Bills: Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
- Height: 6-4 Weight: 250
- Comment: One of the athletic freaks of the draft, but can he catch? Can he block? A pick loaded with potential.
10. Detroit Lions: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
- Height: 6-1 Weight: 208
- Comment: Clinton-Dix can help the Lions do what every NFL team needs to do now: put a lid on over the top.
11. Tennessee Titans: Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
- Height: 5-11 Weight: 199
- Comment: The Titans decide to get Alterraun Verner some help from Dennard, the best corner in the draft.
12. New York Giants: Aaron Donald, DT, Notre Dame
- Height: 6-1 Weight: 285
- Comment: The Giants have all sorts of problems. Drafting Donald will at least help sure up their defensive middle.
13. St. Louis Rams: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
- Height: 6-0 Weight: 202
- Comment: After grabbing Watkins earlier, the Rams go back to defense. Gilbert helps the Rams move on from mediocre corners.
14. Chicago Bears: Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville
- Height: 5-11 Weight: 207
- Comment: Pryor brings wheels and menace to the Bears’ secondary, fitting right in with legacy of tough defense in Chicago.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
- Height: 5-10 Weight: 189
- Comment: After superb combine and Pro Day workouts, Cooks moves up and bring memories of Hines Ward for Steelers fans.
16. Dallas Cowboys: C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama
- Height: 6-2 Weight: 234
- Comment: Was a force in the SEC which will help make him a force in the NFL. Injuries a concern.
17. Baltimore Ravens: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
- Height: 6-7 Weight: 309
- Comment: Lewan comes with tremendous ability and off-the-field concerns. The latter causes him to drop.
18. New York Jets: Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State
- Height: 6-1 Weight: 211
- Comment: Rapidly moving up since the combine, Bucannon shows up here in a surprise from the Jets.
19. Miami Dolphins: Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
- Height: 6-4 Weight: 308
- Comment: If you’re an offensive lineman drafted by the Dolphins, are you excited?
20. Arizona Cardinals: Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
- Height: 6-5 Weight: 232
- Comment: The end is near for Carson Palmer and the Cardinals decide to take their next quarterback this season.
21. Green Bay Packers: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
- Height: 6-5 Weight: 262
- Comment: A reported sub-4.6 40-yard dash, size and hands make many realize Seferian-Jenkins’ draft demise has been greatly exaggerated.
22. Philadelphia Eagles: Marqise Lee, WR, USC
- Height: 6-0 Weight: 192
- Comment: Chip Kelly takes a look at Lee and sees a speedy guy who can make things happen. Just what he’s looking for.
23. Kansas City Chiefs: Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
- Height: 5-11 Weight: 198
- Comment: Beckham is very fast in and out of breaks, but doesnt have top-end speed.
24. Cincinnati Bengals: Timmy Jernigan, NT, Florida State
- Height: 6-2 Weight: 299
- Comment: The Bengals add an internal disruption who is strong but needs to get in better overall shape.
25. San Diego Chargers: Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
- Height: 6-0 Weight: 190
- Comment: Comes from a family of football players, with two brothers who have NFL experience. Needs to smooth out technique.
26. Cleveland Browns (from Indianapolis Colts): Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
- Height: 6-2 Weight: 214
- Comment: He drops, but not out of the first round. Too much talent there.
27. New Orleans Saints: Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri
- Height: 6-4 Weight: 273
- Comment: Overshadowed by the Michael Sam talk, Ealy is an excellent late-round option.
28. Carolina Panthers: Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
- Height: 6-1 Weight: 212
- Comment: One of the surprises of the first round is the Panthers taking Adams to fill Steve Smith’s spot.
29. New England Patriots: Ra’Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota
- Height: 6-6 Weight: 310
- Comment: If his ferocity matches his frame, the Pats will have something.
30. San Francisco 49ers: Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
- Height: 5-9 Weight: 189
- Comment: The weakness of the 49ers’ defense is its cornerbacks. They address that with Verrett.
31. Denver Broncos: Xavier Su’a-Filo, OL, UCLA
- Height: 6-4 Weight: 307
- Comment: A versatile lineman with some nasty to him, the Broncos get another piece to protect the statue in the backfield.
32. Seattle Seahawks: DeMarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State
- Height: 6-3 Weight: 251
- Comment: With Su’a-Filo gone, the Seahawks grab Lawrence knowing Cliff Avril may not be back after 2014.