Friday is the deadline to register for most Tacoma Public Schools’ summer school programs, which include classes for students to make up credits, receive help moving to middle and high school, career and technical education offerings and Lincoln Tree Farm camp.
• Credit Retrieval (June 16-July 10): Recapture lost credits using an online program called Edgenuity. Two sessions will be offered at Foss, Lincoln, Mount Tahoma, Stadium and Wilson high schools. Students will have access to teachers while at school and will need to spend an additional three hours per day on independent work.
Open to high school and incoming ninth-grade students.
• Transition Program (Aug. 18-21): Introduces incoming students to their new schools. Students will find how to understand schedules and routines; meet teachers and staff members; and learn and develop social, emotional and academic skills.
Open to incoming kindergarten, sixth- and ninth-grade students.
• Pierce County Skills Center Summer School (June 23-July 31): Career and technical education classes offered at Lincoln, Mount Tahoma and Wilson high schools and other partner sites.
Open to high school students.
• Lincoln Tree Farm Summer School and Day Camp (July 21-Aug. 8): Training as camp counselors for the first two weeks at Lincoln High, followed by a third week at Lincoln Tree Farm camp serving as camp counselors for incoming seventh-graders.
Open to high school students who have completed an environmental science class.
• Ready! Set, Read – Tacoma! (July 7-July 31): For elementary students learning science, math, literacy, movement and the arts. Enjoyable activities mixed with story time to help students learn to love reading.
Other summer school programs are for students with special academic needs or English language assistance.
A list of summer school programs, requirements and registration forms are available at tacomaschools.org/summerschool.Debbie Cafazzo: 253-597-8635