Trojans’ offense turns up a notch

Staff and contributing reportsMay 18, 2014 

The Fife High School goal-scoring engine is firing up at the right time.

If the Trojans are going to make a deep run in the Class 2A state playoffs — like their runner-up finish in 2011 and the championship in 2012 — the offense will need to carry the day.

Forward Mack Smith tallied a hat trick, midfielder Edgar Garcia added two more goals and the 2A South Puget Sound League co-champions eliminated reigning state runner-up Tyee, 5-1, in the West Central District tournament Saturday at Franklin Pierce Stadium.

The Trojans (14-2) grab the district’s second seed in the state playoffs, which begin Tuesday. They will host Southwest District runner-up Hockinson in the opening round.

“We are not very deep,” Fife coach Tony Crudo said. “But we are exceptionally talented through the middle.”

Smith, the 2A SPSL player of the year, is a scoring machine, especially in one-on-one situations. He converted from short range in the fourth minute, then showed his jets getting past Tyee defender John Macias down the right side before netting a 10-yard shot in the 33rd minute for a 2-0 Fife lead.

After Tyee cut it to 3-1 early in the second half, Smith blew by Tyee’s Martin Gastelum, then hopped over goalkeeper Luis Amaya for an open-net shot, which he chipped in for a goal in the 56th minute.

Smith now has 28 goals this season.

“I know I can beat anyone (in one-on-one situations),” Smith said. “I’ve got the shoulders and arm work to do it, and I am faster than anybody else.”

Fife has one remaining issue — who will be the goalkeeper from here on out. Regular starter Ulysses Zepeda is serving a three-game suspension for a red card at the end of the regular season. His backup, Colton Honey, played well Saturday.

Zepeda is slated to miss one more game. If the Trojans win their opener, Crudo said he will make a decision sometime after that.


Curtis 2, Tahoma 1: The Vikings tallied a pair of goals right before halftime to earn a state berth at Art Crate Field.

Nick Goodpaster scored off a corner kick in the 37th minute to give Curtis a 1-0 lead. Two minutes later, Eddie Na plucked the ball out of a scrum right in front of the goal and scored.

Puyallup 1, Gig Harbor 0: Zach Munizza forced a Tides turnover and fed junior forward Brad MacDougall for the winning goal in the 75th minute, and the Vikings took third place with a win at Mount Tahoma Stadium.

The Vikings will host Skyline while Gig Harbor will be on the road to face Issaquah in the first round of the state playoffs.

Rogers 2, Mount Rainier 1 (OT): Rogers is in the state playoffs for the first time since 2009, outlasting Mount Rainier in a shootout, 5-3, at Art Crate Field.

Rogers sent it into overtime on Ian Mueller’s goal in the 75th minute.

Camas 2, Federal Way 0: Matt Palodichuk and Nate Beasley accounted for the Papermakers’ scoring, and Sharif Batroukh earned the shutout in goal as Camas eliminated the Eagles at Art Crate Field.


Auburn Mountainview 2, Foss 0: With an early first-half goal, the Lions secured a spot in the state playoffs at Highline Memorial Stadium.

In the eighth minute, sophomore Christian Rotter got on the back end of a cross from junior Farris Idrees.

Rotter slipped in behind the Foss center backs, receiving the ball just inside the 18-yard box. Once he was one-on-one with the goalkeeper, Rotter calmly slotted the ball to the back post to give Mountainview the winning goal.

“It was good. I got pretty good information from (coach) Jason Gjertsen over at Wilson,” Auburn Mountainview coach James Fioretti said. “We knew they were susceptible to the diagonal ball, so we had our wide guys high and dumped it in behind. We were able to get in behind them and score a nice goal.”

Although Mountainview thoroughly controlled possession for the first 60 minutes, Foss would not let up.

In the final 20 minutes, Foss not only got their first real chances on goal, but had a shot saved off the goal line, hit the side bar and barely tipped over the crossbar.

Bonney Lake 3, Shelton 0: Austin Hendrick scored the winner in the fifth minute, and the reigning state champions are still alive with a victory at Highline Memorial Stadium.


Orting 1, Klahowya 0: Anthony McFarland led the Cardinals into the state playoffs for the first time since 2006 with his goal in the 60th minute at Franklin Pierce Stadium.

The Eagles had a chance to tie on a penalty kick with 41/2 minutes to go, but Orting goalkeeper Dakota Meek smothered the attempt to preserve his 11th shutout.

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service