Memorial Day events are scheduled throughout the South Sound this weekend and are listed chronologically.
• The Thurston County Veterans Council is hosting a waterside memorial to honor veterans lost at sea. The service takes place at 1 p.m. at Percival Landing, 405 Columbia St. NW. For more information, call 360-789-2202.
• The Key Peninsula Veterans group is hosting a 19th Isle of Honor program beginning at 1 p.m. at the Vaughn Cemetery, corner of 100th Street KPN and 186th Avenue KPN. Parking and a shuttle service will be provided at Vaughn Elementary School. The association plans to fly hundreds of flags and read names of fallen veterans dating back to the Revolutionary War. For more information, call 253-884-3758.
MONDAY (MEMORIAL DAY)
• The Wear Blue: Run to Remember Memorial Day event kicks off at 8 a.m. in DuPont’s Powderworks Park. Participants can run a 3- or 5-mile course in the memory of fallen military service members. For more information, call 206-484-4634.
• VFW Post 1854 and American Legion Post 236 will honor Civil War veteran Maynard Randall, whose grave was misidentified at the Artondale Cemetery near Gig Harbor when he was buried there in 1896. Randall served on an ironclad ship in the Navy. The ceremony presenting military honors in his memory is to begin at 10 a.m. at the cemetery, 5512 Hunt St. NW, Gig Harbor. For more information, call 253-884-2442.
• I Corps Deputy Commander Maj. Gen. Kenneth Dahl is to give a keynote speech at the Nisei Veterans Committee service at Lake View Cemetery, 1554 15th Avenue East, Seattle. The service begins at 10 a.m.
• A Spanaway service will take place at 10:30 a.m. at the cemetery behind Bethany Lutheran Church, 26418 Mountain Highway. For more information, call 253-531-6701.
• The Tacoma Historical Society and American Legion service will take place at 11 a.m. at Tacoma War Memorial Park, S. MacArthur Street and Sixth Avenue. For more information, call Charlotte Medlock at 253-752-7722.
• The Thurston County Veterans Council’s observance will begin at 11 a.m. at the state Capitol in Olympia.
• Joint Base Lewis-McChord’s observance will begin at 11:30 a.m. at the cemetery on base. 7th Infantry Division Deputy Commander Willard Burleson is to be the featured speaker.
• Puyallup’s service hosted by VFW Post 2224 is to begin at 1 p.m. at the Pioneer Park Pavilion, 330 S. Meridian. It will feature music by the Clan Gordon Pipe Band and the Pierce College Concert Band. For more information, call 360-893-8022.
• Joint Base Lewis-McChord senior Army officer Lt. Gen. Stephen Lanza is to be the featured speaker at DuPont’s service. It is scheduled to start at 2 p.m. in Ross Plaza, 1500 Ross Loop.
• Five veterans buried in the 1920s with unmarked graves at Mountain View Memorial Park will be recognized at a 2 p.m. service at the cemetery, 4100 Steilacoom Blvd. SW, Lakewood. Mountain View staff researched the graves and found they belonged to veterans Clarence Woodard, Lenard Hitter, John Luce, E.W. Snyder and John Morgan. The veterans will receive new markers for their graves, the cemetery said.
• A service at the Washington Soldiers Home in Orting is scheduled for 2 p.m., at 1301 Orting Kapowsin Hwy. E.email@example.com