Tacoma man arrested after two found dead in Hilltop home

Staff writerMay 24, 2014 

Two people are dead and a third is in the hospital after an assault late Friday in the Hilltop neighborhood of Tacoma.

Tacoma police arrested a 37-year old Tacoma man and booked him into the Pierce County Jail at 8:45 a.m. Saturday on suspicion of two charges of first-degree murder and one charge of attempted murder.

The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office on Saturday identified the dead as Denyse Marshall, 59, and Joseph Andrew, 25, both of Tacoma.

Tacoma Police Department spokeswoman Loretta Cool said the injuries of a victim who survived — a woman — are not life-threatening.

Cool said TPD officers discovered the bodies at a residence at the corner of South 19th and L streets.

According to county records, the same suspect was booked into jail Thursday on charges of criminal assault/domestic violence and second-degree assault. He was released Friday, hours before the bodies were discovered.

Cool said the assaults earlier in the week occurred at the same residence.

“We did respond here, and we have responded here in the past on related issues,” she said. “This is all very sad because the situation was preventable.”

Tony Council, a neighbor who lives across the street, said the man accused of the killings lived in the house. Council said he had witnessed violent arguments between the man and his wife, including a particularly violent one Thursday that involved another man.

“They argued a lot,” Council said of the couple.


The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service