Driver who fatally struck man in downtown Tacoma arrested

Staff writerMay 28, 2014 

A driver who fatally struck a man working in downtown Tacoma last week was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of vehicular homicide.

Pierce County prosecutors said they will make a charging decision about the 44-year-old man Thursday. He was also booked on suspicion of unlawfully possessing a controlled substance.

Police said the man did not appear to be under the influence at the time of the crash but they found a bag of methamphetamine on him when he was taken to the hospital.

The accident took place about 4 p.m. Friday in the 700 block of South Commerce Street. Mark Nigh, 56, of University Place, was standing behind his work truck when he was struck by the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Nigh and one of his sons, who both work for City Glass & Upholstery, were doing glass work at the Winthrop Apartments.

Nigh, who had his legs severed in the crash, died Sunday of his injuries.

Police have said the driver was driving recklessly just before hitting Nigh. Witnesses reported seeing him pass at least two cars before pulling back into his lane and hitting Nigh.

The man allegedly told detectives he didn’t see Nigh or the truck.

Nigh, a father of six, was well-known for coaching youth sports for the last 25 years, including lacrosse, football, baseball and wrestling.

His service will be held at 11 a.m. June 3 at St. Charless Borromeo Catholic Church, 7112 South 12th St., Tacoma. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made for the Nigh family at

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service