Police Beat: DUI suspect tries to craft his own answers for sobriety test

Staff writerMay 31, 2014 

Editor’s note: Compiled from reports to Tacoma police.

May 28: The standard field sobriety test doesn’t include pushups, but the Tacoma man announced his willingness to drop and give them.

He was 51. Officers spotted him at 3:30 p.m., near DeLong Park in the 4600 block of South 12th Street. The area was a school zone.

The man drove a gold 1989 Jeep Cherokee and hit 43 mph as he passed another car. The speed limit was 30. The officer flicked on his lights and followed. The man drove half a mile before he stopped.

The officer walked to the driver’s window. The man said he didn’t have a license. He smelled like liquor. The officer asked whether he’d been drinking.

“Yes,” the man said. “I drank and I should not have driven.”

The man said he’d had shots of Crown Royal. A second officer arrived.

The man said he’d been under a doctor’s care for 25 years. He said he had a bone disease, but he couldn’t remember the name of it. He had a small container of pills, though they weren’t held in a prescription bottle. The officer asked what the pills were.

“It don’t matter,” the man said. “You don’t take ’em.”

The officer asked whether it was wise to mix alcohol and medication.

“Should you drink and take any medicine?” the man asked.

The officer asked if the man would agree to field sobriety tests.

“I can do more pushups than you,” the man said.

The officer explained that pushups weren’t part of the field sobriety tests.

“I can stand on one leg,” the man said.

The officers asked whether the man would take any tests. The man refused. Officers cuffed him and placed him in a patrol car.

On the way to police headquarters, the man demanded to be ticketed and released. Officers refused. The man refused to take breath-alcohol tests. Officers took him to the Fife City Jail, where he was booked on suspicion of drunken driving.

May 28: The whole point of a no-contact order is the bit about no contact.

The Tacoma woman struggled with that part. She was 25. She claimed to have a protection order against her boyfriend, but she went to see him anyway, hoping to collect money.

The dispatch call started as a reported domestic assault complaint. Officers drove to an apartment in the 1800 block of South 84th Street and spoke to the boyfriend, who was 27. His door was damaged.

The boyfriend said he was the respondent on a no-contact order his girlfriend had filed. Officers looked for it in records and found it.

The boyfriend said his girlfriend showed up at his door unannounced, screaming and yelling, with their young son in tow. She demanded $30 she said he owed. She took his tablet computer. She tried to soak him with a shot of pepper spray.

The boyfriend said he kept telling her to go away. She walked out and left the little boy behind. The boyfriend said he took the boy to her car and put him in as she drove away. He said she held up the tablet as she drove, saying the boyfriend could have it back when he paid up.

The boyfriend said the tablet belonged to Clover Park Technical College, where he was a student.

Officers drove to an address tied to the woman. They asked her about the tablet, and said it belonged to the school. The woman said she didn’t know; she took the device because her boyfriend owed her $30. She gave it to the officer.

Why would she violate her own no-contact order?

The woman said her ex called her that morning and told her to come get her $30. He did it with the tablet, she said. He called her all the time.

Had she reported those violations of the no-contact order? She said she hadn’t.

Had she forced her way into the apartment?

She said her boyfriend opened the door, then tried to close it, and she stuck her arm out to stop him. She said she didn’t spray him. She said he started beating her. She said he threw her keys at her and told her to get out.

Officers told the woman she was under arrest for damaging her boyfriend’s door. The woman was upset; she said she the victim and her boyfriend should be going to jail. Officers booked her into the Fife jail on suspicion of misdemeanor assault and destruction of property. They returned the tablet to the boyfriend, who said he didn’t want his ex arrested.

May 27: It was a Tuesday, the day after a three-day weekend, and the 12-year-old girl didn’t feel like going to school. She told her parents she felt sick. They gave in, let her stay home and went to work.

Dad was 53. He got home first. The girl wasn’t there. The house looked messy, like friends had visited. The girl came home. Dad confronted her and asked where she’d been. She said nothing, went to her room and closed the door.

Mom came home. Dad told her what happened. She confronted her daughter, who refused to say anything and tried to walk out the front door.

Mom got in the way. Her daughter pushed her. She pushed back. Her daughter kicked her, slapped at her and grabbed her arm.

Dad broke up the fight, but the daughter kept trying to leave. He called 911. Officers drove to an address in the 1700 block of South 41st Street.

Dad said the daughter had been placed in a program for at-risk youths because of repeated runaway incidents.

Officers spoke to the girl. She admitted to smacking, kicking and pushing her mom, but she said it was because her mom was doing the same thing.

Officers offered the girl a choice: They would forget the arrest if she agreed to not cause any more problems or try to run away.

The girl said she couldn’t make any promises. Officers took her to Remann Hall and booked her on suspicion of misdemeanor assault.

Sean Robinson: 253-597-8486

The News Tribune is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service