(1880) The Tacoma Ledger established as a weekly by R. F. Radabaugh.
(1881) The News established as a weekly by H. C. Patrick.
(1883) The Tacoma Ledger and The News both begin to publish as dailies.
(1898) S. A. Perkins acquires The News and The Tacoma Ledger.
(1907) The Tacoma Tribune established by R. F. Radabaugh and Richard Roediger.
(1912) Frank S. Baker and Elbert H. Baker purchase The Tacoma Tribune.
(1918) S. A. Perkins sells his interests in The News and The Tacoma Ledger to Frank S. Baker and Elbert Baker. Publication begins under the name of The Tacoma News Tribune and Ledger. Published mornings, evenings and Sundays.
(1937) The Daily Tacoma Ledger suspends publication. The News Tribune is combined with The Sunday Ledger to form The News Tribune and Sunday Ledger.
(1947) FCC approves licensing of KTNT-FM. First FM radio station in the area.
(1948) KTNT-AM-FM begins broadcasting.
(1953) KTNT-TV, Channel 11, a CBS affiliate, begins video broadcasting in Tacoma.
(1964) Radio Page of Tacoma founded.
(1966) Cable TV Puget Sound begins operations as a division of Tribune Publishing Company.
(1972) Tribune Publishing Company changes call letters from KTNT to KNBQ-FM.
(1974) KTNT-TV sold to WKY-TV Systems, Inc. of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Call letters changed to KSTW-TV.
(1976) Answering Service Northwest acquired by Tribune Publishing Company.
(1979) The Tacoma News Tribune becomes official name of both daily and Sunday newspapers.
(1982) Cable TV Puget Sound becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Tribune Publishing Company.
(1983) Tribune Publishing Company buys The Pierce County Herald, a tri-weekly publication serving east Pierce County.
(1984) Tribune Publishing purchases part interest in Radio Systems, Inc.
(1985) The New York Times begins printing a national edition for Pacific Northwest distribution at The Tacoma News Tribune plant.
(1986) Answering Service Northwest is sold to Cascade-Sonitrol.
(1986) Tribune Publishing Company sells most of its holdings to Viacom, Inc. and McClatchy Newspapers.
(1986) The Tacoma News Tribune and Pierce County Herald begin publication as a subsidiary of McClatchy Newspapers.
(1987) The Tacoma News Tribune becomes The Morning News Tribune on April 6, 1987.
(1993) The Morning News Tribune begins publishing under the name of The News Tribune on October 4, 1993.
- Advertising Rates
- Reader Profile
- Other Programs
- Subscribe to the TNT
- Quick Card
- Become A Carrier
- Vacation Stop
- Delivery Issues
- Address Change
- Account Inquiry
- Baker Family
- Senior Staff
- Site Map
- User Agreement
- Staff List
- Change is coming: Mariners to send down Jesus Montero to Tacoma, bring up Jesus Sucre
- Morning links: Curry admits football was not his No. 1 priority in Seattle
- Seahawks' Lynch has DUI motion continued
- King County Sheriff’s deputy injured in off-duty motorcycle crash near Frederickson dies
- History lesson blooming in Steilacoom
- 364 Secrecy ignited firestorms over Benghazi, IRS
- 171 Aide: Obama learned about IRS from news accounts
- 118 He set out to disprove a faith, woo a girl now he loves both
- 75 Narrows tolls to rise; more hikes possible as debt and lack of traffic may push maximum amount over $6 prediction
- 30 Party lines blur at transportation rally