Saturday (July 4)
Several local communities are hosting Fourth of July celebrations
In addition to Tacoma’s Freedom Fair on Ruston Way, there are a host of Fourth of July celebrations in the Puget Sound area. Here are a few to check out:
• Federal Way is putting on its annual Red, White and Blues Festival at Celebration Park, 1095 S. 324th St. from 3 to 11 p.m. Saturday. There will be games, entertainment, arts and crafts all culminating in a fireworks show. Bring lawn chairs or blankets. Admission is free; on-site parking is $7.
• Freedom Fest will take place at Cowan and Memorial Stadiums at JBLM. The free celebration starts at noon and ends with a fireworks show at 10 p.m. There will be food, carnival rides, games, music and more family-friendly fun. The event is open to the public. Take I-5 exit 119 to DuPont Gate and catch a shuttle to the festival.
• Kent’s Fourth of July Splash event takes place at Lake Meridian Park, 14800 SE 272nd St. from noon-10:30 p.m. There will be live music and entertainment, games, bounce houses, food, pie eating contest and more fun. The night will top off with a fireworks show at 10 p.m. Free shuttle buses will run about every 20 minutes from the Kent Fire Station, 15635 SE 272nd St.; Kentwood High School, 25800 164th Ave. SE and Meridian Elementary School, 25621 140th Ave. SE. Parking at the park is by permit only.
• Fourth of July in Renton takes place at Gene Coulon Memorial Beach Park, 1201 Lake Washington Blvd. N. Enjoy free children’s activities and face-painting from noon- 8 p.m. Saturday, stage entertainment 1:30-9:30 p.m. and a 20-minute fireworks display at 10 p.m. Parking is limited at the park. Courtesy pick-up, drop-off, unload and load only at the boat launch area. Street parking is available on Houser Way N., and event parking will be available on the top two floors at the parking garage at The Landing.
• SeaTac Family Fourth of July will feature a children’s carnival from 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Angel Lake Park, 19408 International Blvd. The water spray park will be open 11 a.m.-8 p.m., and live entertainment is 1-10 p.m. Saturday. The fireworks show begins at 10:15 p.m. Parking is not allowed inside the park; options include the Alaska Airlines Headquarters, IBEW Union Office and Hughes Property. For the details, go to ci.seatac.wa.us/?page=704.
• Steilacoom will open Lafayette Street to the public for a day full of events, food and entertainment for the family from 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Included in the the events are a community parade at 1 p.m., street dance at 7 p.m. and a fireworks show at 10:30 p.m.