Ever feel like slapping the cuffs on a dirty restaurant? Photo: Dallas Morning News.
A TNT reader's letter arrived in my inbox. He described his experience at one local outlet of a national pizza chain thusly:
"It was by far the dirtiest restaurant I have ever been in. The management was rude and the employees had very bad mouths on them.
"I would like information on how to contact the authorities because that [national pizza chain outlet] is very unsanitary and dirty. Any information would help and I thank you and hope I didn't waste your time."
Never miss a local story.
Sir, that didn't waste my time. I checked out the health inspection report of the national pizza chain outlet in question. In its last routine inspection (March 1, 2006), it was slapped for the critical violation of not providing adequate hand-washing facilities, which could include anything from soap to paper towels to the temperature of the water.
Rudeness and bad mouths are not mentioned on the inspection report. But here's the place to report sanitation concerns:
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department, 253-798-6500.
Here's more from the reader's letter:
I recently went to the [national pizza chain outlet]. I noticed several things going on at once. First the crew would drop stuff on their dirty floor, like the cup they use for cheese, and the rings that go around the pizza. They would drop it on the floor and pick it up and start using without washing it.
The people that cut the pizza would take a topping here and there and eat it. I thought that was disgusting
The restroom was disgusting like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks … there were no paper towels. I remember seeing a sink outside the bathroom so I went to wash my hands at that sink and once again, there were no paper towels. I watched a couple employees go to the bathroom and come out and went over to start making pizza's again.
I'm guessing they didn't wash their hands because there were no paper towels.
When I got home I threw the pizza away because I was not going to eat it. It was disgusting just thinking about the employee's not washing their hands and putting new pizza dough on old pans that had mold on it from who knows when.