It’s so odd to think that a few weeks ago, we were cruising into restaurants wearing flip flops and capri pants. And just like that - the sideways rain returned. The most wonderful thing about the weather change? Squash, beets, kale, soups, braised meats and restaurants that feature all of the above. I've spent the last week checking in with chefs to find out what they've got simmering for fall flavors. For the next few days, I'll post menus from restaurants around town. Today's menu comes from Marrow.
The restaurant is a dual purpose eatery - with half a menu for omnivores and another half for vegetarians. For meat-eating crowd, there’s a starter of seared sea scallops with pumpkin broth ($14) served with balsamic salt from Libertine Tacoma salts. Pickled figs show up with celeriac in a beef heart salad with a cherry dressing ($9). Duck also reappears on the menu - with a blueberry sage compote and a celeriac and Yukon gold puree with broccolini ($27). Wild boar ($28) is paired with an apple cider braise. On the vegetarian menu, I love the sound of baked brie with an apple cider balsamic ($12). Also, this - a lentil wellington ($18) with butternut squash, a maple demi and that same celeriac and Yukon gold puree from the omnivore menu.
Below is the text of the menu, courtesy of Jaime Kay Jones, who opened the restaurant in August 2011 with husband Jason Jones and co-owner Chef Kyle Wnuk. If you've never been - it’s a funky and accessible restaurant with a focus on unusual proteins and the most thoughtful vegetarian menu in town.
Marrow Kitchen Bar: 2717 Sixth Ave., Tacoma, 253-267-5299, marrowtacoma.com
Never miss a local story.
FROM THE OMNIVORE MENU:
*SEARED SCALLOPS, PUMPKIN BROTH, MELTED LEEKS, LIBERTINE BALSAMIC SALT, 14
* GEODUCK, PORK BELLY, CORN COULIS, YOUNG CARROTS, FINGERLING, PROSECCO ESPUMA, 14
* BRAISED OXTAIL EN CROUTE, MUSHROOM RAGOUT, PEA SHOOTS, 14
*CONFIT OF BEEF HEART SALAD, PICKLED FIGS, TART CHERRY DRESSING, CELERIAC, BUTTER LETTUCE, 9
*BONE MARROW, OXTAIL MARMALADE, PICKLED ROMANESCO, POTATO BREAD, 16
*MARROW BURGER, PAINTED HILLS WAGYU, DUCK EGG, BACON-ONION JAM, WHITE CHEDDAR, MUSTARD SEED AIOLI, CORINA BAKERY BRIOCHE, FINGERLINGS, 17
*STEAK FRITES, FLAT IRON, DUCK FAT FINGERLINGS, BROCCOLINI, PINK PEPPERCORN MUSTARD SAUCE, PEA SHOOTS, 24
*DUCK BREAST, BLUEBERRY SAGE COMPOTE, CELERIAC-YUKON GOLD PUREE, BROCCOLINI, 27
* WILD BOAR SHANK, APPLE CIDER BRAISE, CELERIAC-YUKON GOLD PUREE, YOUNG CARROTS, 28
* NORTHWEST ARTISAN CHEESE PLATE, PURE MAPLE SYRUP, TOAST, CANDIED MARCONA ALMONDS, 1 FOR 6/ 3 FOR 15
FROM THE ARROW/VEGETARIAN MENU:
* CHEDDAR POTATO DOUGHNUTS, SMOKED JALAPENO DIP, LIBERTINE HABANERO SALT, 10
* BAKED BRIE, QUINCE PASTE, BRANDIED HONEY, APPLE CIDER BALSAMIC, TOAST, 12
*HONEY & MUSTARD SALAD, HONEY COMB, BLACK MUSTARD SEED DRESSING, SOFT CROUTON, PICKED TARRAGON & PARSLEY, BUTTER LETTUCE, 7
*WILD RICE & QUINOA SALAD, HAZELNUT-GINGER DRESSING, DRIED BLUEBERRIES, MARCONA ALMONDS, FRISEE, 9
* SWISS CHARD and GRUYERE GRATIN, BREAD SALAD, MACHE, HAZELNUT VINAIGRETTE, 12
*QUINOA VEGETABLE CAKES, QUAIL EGGS, SHIITAKE TEA DEMI, PEA SHOOT SALAD, 12
* FARROTTO, ROGUE SMOKEY BLEU, GRILLED ONIONS, SPINACH, DRIED MISSION FIGS, FRIED ROMANESCO, 16
* VEGETABLE LASAGNA, ZUCCHINI, SQUASH, WILD MUSHROOMS, SUNDRIED TOMATO SAUCE, BASIL PESTO, CASHEW CHEESE, 17
* LENTIL WELLINGTON, BUTTERNUT SQUASH, MAPLE DEMI, CELERIAC-YUKON GOLD PUREE, BROCCOLINI, 18
* TRUFFLE SPINACH PAPPARDELLE, CARAMELIZED ONIONS, WILD MUSHROOMS, PECORINO ROMANO, TRUFFLE OIL, LIBERTINE WILD MUSHROOM SALT, 19