Tacoma Museum of Glass HEADLINES
When you see Benjamin Moores new glass art exhibit at Tacoma's Museum of Glass, you'll know the master of minimalism has climbed to new heights of simplicity of form, of color, of line and the works in Translucent challenge viewers to follow this monk-like path in reduction.
Larry Stemp is a fourth-generation Tacoman who has waited his whole life for his hometown to come out of its coma. "It finally happened," the 53-year-old chiropractor said, sitting in a crowd on the Chihuly Bridge of Glass Saturday afternoon, the opening day of the Museum of Glass: International Center for Contemporary Art.
Art in the outdoors - Opening installations outside Museum of Glass reflect on artistic response to environment
Apart from the rakish tilting cone, the Museum of Glass: International Center for Contemporary Art's most striking feature is its array of outdoor plazas with their sparkling, rimless reflective pools.
There are two Museums of Glass: International Centers for Contemporary Art - outdoor and indoor.
Prince of glass: As sovereign of his hometown's cultural scene, glass artist Dale Chihuly draws world to Tacoma
Two attractions share top billing at the Tacoma Convention and Visitor Bureau Web site: Mount Rainier and Dale Chihuly.
This week you get to see what's inside the cone. You get to see how big those glacial chunks are atop the Chihuly Bridge of Glass compared to your 4-year-old son (bigger).
Because of strong winds and a snag on the shingles, the slumping 150-foot red ribbon slung around the cone Wednesday was more "this old thing" than "wearable dazzle."
There are several predictors of a new museum's personality. Architecture and marketing matter. But at an art museum, it's the art that counts and the artists who are the ultimate ambassadors.
Don't even think about it.
Bill and Marie Orrange hauled out their two-for-one coupon book Monday evening, headed for all-you-can-eat halibut and chips night at Johnny's Dock and looked across the Foss Waterway at the new Museum of Glass.
- Hey, Pete, it's time you talked about Seahawks' drug-test failures
- Confirmed: Josh Portis arrested for DUI; RB Christine Michael Signs
- He set out to disprove a faith, woo a girl now he loves both
- UPDATED: Two arrested in fatal assault at Lakewood poolroom
- Narrows tolls to rise; more hikes possible as debt and lack of traffic may push maximum amount over $6 prediction
- 300 Secrecy ignited firestorms over Benghazi, IRS
- 133 Aide: Obama learned about IRS from news accounts
- 96 He set out to disprove a faith, woo a girl now he loves both
- 63 Narrows tolls to rise; more hikes possible as debt and lack of traffic may push maximum amount over $6 prediction
- 54 Tacoma program uses housing to promote good parenting, self-sufficiency