The tooth fairy does not seem to have heard the news that the stock market is hitting all-time highs and that the general economy is improving.
Lost-tooth values have declined by an average 8 percent over the past year, according to an annual survey by Visa.
• The national average for a lost tooth today: $3.40.
• Fathers generously reported that the Dental Tinkerbell left $4.20, while mothers reported $2.90.
• More than 50 percent of tooth-bereft children received either $1 or $5, with 33 percent receiving $1.
• 3.6 percent of American children received $20 or more in 2014, down 6 percent from 2013.
• Canadian children are expected to receive the equivalent of $2.60 per tooth in 2015, the same amount American kids earned in 2011.
• Kids in the Western U.S. received an average of $3.60, ahead of kids in the South and Northeast (at $3.50) and in the Midwest ($3.10).