A man was critically injured early Thursday in a Tacoma apartment fire, according to the Fire Department.
Firefighters were called just before 6 a.m. to the Orion apartments building at 29 St. Helens Ave. by an automatic alarm.
When they arrived, crews immediately saw smoke coming from the 11th floor. They were able to pull a man out of the unit where the blaze started and contain the flames to a single apartment.
The man was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he remains in critical condition, according to a hospital spokeswoman.
Never miss a local story.
Two other residents of the building were evaluated but did not need treatment.
Because the 15-story building has so many residents, the Fire Department called a second alarm and brought in more resources to help evacuate some apartments as a precaution.
“We knocked down the fire” fairly quickly, fire spokesman Joe Meinecke said.
The man’s cigarette started the blaze, Tacoma Fire investigators determined Thursday afternoon.
Staff writer Kenny Ocker contributed to this report.
Stacia Glenn: 253-597-8653