Monday is Memorial Day, the day set aside each year to honor those who have died while serving in the U.S. armed forces.
Flags should be flown at half-staff from sunrise until noon and then raised fully until sunset.
There are a number of observances throughout the South Sound area Monday, including:
▪ Sumner Cemetery, 12324 Valley Ave. E., 10 a.m.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Bethany Lutheran Cemetery, 26418 Mountain Highway E., Spanaway, 10 a.m.
▪ Fox Island Cemetery, 600 Island Boulevard, 11 a.m.
▪ Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Camp Lewis Cemetery, 11:30 a.m. Visitors must obtain a pass from the JBLM visitor center at Exit 120 from Interstate 5.
▪ War Memorial Park, Sixth Avenue and McArthur, Tacoma, 11 a.m.
▪ DuPont Plaza, 12:30 p.m.
▪ Washington Soldiers’ Home, 1301 Orting-Kapowsin Highway E., Orting, 2 p.m.