A workshop for forest landowners who want to learn how to reduce wildfire risk, improve forest health, and enhance wildlife habitat is scheduled for May 3 in Goldendale.
The Forest Health Workshop has sessions inside and outdoors and is hosted by the Washington State Department of Natural Resources and Washington State University Extension.
The six-hour workshop starts at 10 a.m. at Ekone Ranch on Ekone Road.
Here are the directions provided by the DNR:
• From Highway 97 in Goldendale, take the Broadway Street exit (also called Hwy. 142) at the 76 Service Station.
• Go one block, then turn left at Aimee’s Attic onto Bickleton Road.
• Follow Bickleton Road east for 10 miles and then turn left onto Old Mountain Road.
• In approximately 1 mile, the pavement curves to the right and crosses Badger Gulch; follow it across the small bridge to stay on Old Mountain Road.
• About 3 miles later, the pavement ends. Slow down; keep it under 25 mph.
• In another mile, turn right on Ekone Road. Slow down again, 10 mph, past the closest neighbors and down the driveway. Follow Ekone Road for almost 1 mile down into a large valley with a pond.
• Park in the parking circle when you first enter the valley (where there is a kiosk, before you pass by the wooden, round pen) and check in at the Main Lodge, the large octagon building.