A toxic algae bloom in Tacoma’s Wapato Lake has made the water unsafe for people and pets, the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department said Tuesday.
The agency issued a cautionary advisory about the bloom, and will check the lake weekly until it’s gone and the warning is lifted.
It’s hard telling how long that will take, department spokeswoman Edie Jeffers said.
“It’s very weather-dependent with toxic algae,” Jeffers said. “When it’s warm, they tend to stick around, but there’s lots of different reasons that can cause them to dissipate.”
Never miss a local story.
Anyone experiencing unexplained sickness or symptoms of poisoning after visiting the lake should call a doctor, and a veterinarian for affected pets.